Hello. My name is Michael Plummer, the founder of Our Town America. It was in 1972, while running a retail business, that I discovered the power of welcoming my new neighbors. It, as all of the other media I attempted, had its flaws. However, it didn’t take long for me to realize the unparalleled, long-term benefit of reaching out to people while they were in the midst of adjusting to their new surroundings. I did this by inviting them in with a genuine, one time gift. The results were simple to measure: they tried my food. From that point on I continued to see many of the same faces return time after time — with no need for further advertising. Just good food and great service kept them coming back. The math was easy. My investment of less than a dollar resulted in bringing in a family worth hundreds of dollars every year.
Over 30 years later businesses still struggle to find new customers. And there are a lot more ways to reach people. Our simple, yet powerful, concept of Inviting New Neighbors into a business still works more effectively than all of the others. Getting people in your doors to experience what you have to offer is still all that matters. Our Town America does that by reaching your most likely future customers — your new neighbors.
The only thing that has changed since 1972 is our distribution process. We’ve grown from welcoming a few hundred new families each month, to introducing over 6 million people per year to local businesses. Despite the necessary changes and innovation to keep up with our fast-paced growth, we maintain the highest integrity and quality in all aspects of our program.
Our Town America at a Glance
- In 1972, while running a pizzeria in Newton, Iowa, Michael Plummer discovers the marketing power of welcoming new neighbors into his eating establishment with a one time gift. That same year, he launches Our Town America with hostesses in his pizzeria welcoming families new to the neighborhood.
- In 1978, Our Town America begins using the United States Postal Service as its method of distribution, leading the industry into a more efficient means of welcoming families.
- In 1990, Our Town America relocates to St. Petersburg, Florida and moves in to office space on Central Avenue.
- Between 1997 and 1998, Our Town America experiences explosive growth, and offers dealerships to 20 business people across the country.
- Between 1997 and 2003, Our Town America introduces several industry innovations including category exclusivity for sponsors, zip code select, New Mover Response, Dwelling Selects and the New Mover E-Survey.
Our Town America Today
- In November 2003, Our Town America “goes digital” and moves into new space at Gateway Centre, Pinellas Park, Florida. Proprietary technology, such as 2D bar coding, enables Our Town America to introduce additional industry-leading improvements including near-perfect mailing accuracy, Gift Certificate and Welcome Package personalization, pinpoint tracking and follow-up marketing.
- Our Town America, A Franchising Corporation, is launched in the spring of 2005.
Our Town America has been helping movers adjust to their new communities and assisting local businesses in gaining loyal customers since 1972. Today, Our Town America is one of the largest independent new mover marketing companies in the country and a recognized industry leader. Our Town America utilizes proprietary, state-of-the-art technologies that enable unparalleled direct mailing accuracy, customized distribution, personalized welcome packages and gift certificates and targeted tracking for direct-response customer feedback. Our Town America is headquartered in Pinellas Park, Florida.
New Mover Marketing Solutions
New mover marketing by Our Town America is innovative, exclusive, turnkey, zip code driven and fully trackable, intuitive and secure with desktop and mobile solutions. Lock out your competition! Avoid wasted coverage and save time. Let us do the work for you. Fill out our contact form today and let’s get started!